Koreans and foreigners alike love bibimbap (rice mixed with vegetables and beef) for its beautiful appearance, excellent taste, and nutritious value. It is well-known as a health food and can be eaten while dieting since it contains a variety of healthy, lean ingredients such as vegetables, grains, and beef.
Bibimbap is frequently served at banquets for international guests in Korea and has been featured in foreign mass media many times. Last year, the dish appeared in the main article of the food section of the New York Times.
Bibimbap on TV
A popular trend in Korea are food shows are referred to as “meok-bang” in Korean, which is a compound of the first syllables for “eating” and “broadcast.” The celebrities who can eat deliciously on TV shows are praised and called “meok-bang-dol,” where “dol” stands for “idol.” One of such “eating show idols” is Yun Du-jun of the band Highlight. On the Thai entertainment program Tee Nee Mo-Chit, he cooked bibimbap.
Cooking time: 1 hour
Two servings, 599kcal per serving
Main Ingredients: 1 cup rice, 30g carrot, 30g beef, 1/4 cucumber, 2 shiitake mushrooms, an egg, 30g spinach, 30g balloon flower (optional), 1/6 green young pumpkin (squash, optional)
Sub Ingredients: 2 tbsp. soy sauce, 1 tbsp. sugar, 1/2 tbsp. crushed spring onion, 1/4 tbsp. crushed garlic, 1/4 tbsp. sesame oil, a sprinkle of sesame seeds and a dash of pepper
Sauce Ingredients: 20g beef, 1 tbsp. gochujang (red pepper paste), 1 tbsp. sugar, 1 tbsp. water, a little bit of sesame oil and sesame seeds
1. Cook the rice using 1.2 parts of water for 1 part of soaked rice.
2. Shred green young pumpkin, balloon flower, spinach, and cucumber into 0.3×0.3×5cm strips. Salt them down and drain the resulting liquid. Julienne carrots into strips of the same size.
3. Cut half of the beef into 0.3×0.3×7cm strips and mince the rest.
4. Mix the sub ingredients in a bowl and season individually the beef, balloon flower, and shiitake mushroom.
5. Put sauce ingredients in a pan and stir-fry.
6. Prepare another pan. Put oil on the pan and fry the carrot, cucumber, balloon flower, shiitake mushroom, and beef in this order.
7. After beating the egg, fry and cut it into thin strips.
8. Put the cooked rice in a bowl and garnish it with carrot, balloon flower, green young pumpkin, cucumber, beef, shiitake mushroom, and egg. Put gochujang on top.
<저작권자 © AgraFood, 무단 전재 및 재배포 금지>