Dakgalbi—a spicy stir-fried chicken dish—is popular among many foreigners visiting Korea. When the Korean soap opera Winter Sonata made a big hit overseas, the place where the events of the drama unfolded, Chuncheon city, became a mecca for the fans of Hallyu (the Korean culture wave). On their visits to the city, many fans wanted to try local food and discovered the local specialty, dakgalbi, propelling it to the ranks of Korean dishes with global fame.
One variation of the dish, which is enjoying popularity these days, is cheese dakgalbi. Topped with mozzarella cheese, it has earned many fans particularly among the younger consumers in Japan.
Dakgalbi on TV
The Return of Superman (broadcast by KBS, Korean Broadcasting System) is a very popular entertainment program where celebrity dads are left to take care of their kids by themselves for 48 hours, without anyone’s help. To celebrate its third anniversary, the program recently gathered all families that have appeared on it. The fathers cooked dakgalbi while their kids were playing in the playground. The children gobbled down their bowls of dakgalbi in the blink of an eye.
Cooking Time: 50min
875kcal (one serving)
Main Ingredients: 6 chicken legs, a sweet potato, 10 sesame leaves, 100g cabbage, 1/4 onion, shredded mozzarella cheese
Sauce Ingredients: 2 tbsp. soy sauce, 2 tbsp. starch syrup, 2 tbsp. refined rice wine, 2 tbsp. gochujang (red pepper paste), 2 tbsp. red pepper powder, 2 tbsp. sugar, 1 tbsp. crushed spring onion, ½ tbsp. crushed garlic, 1 tsp. ginger juice, 1 tbsp. sesame oil, ½ tbsp. ground sesame salt, ¼ tsp. ground pepper
1. Roll sesame leaves and shred them.
2. Slice the onion into strips of 1x4 cm.
3. Wash the sweet potato and cabbage. Cut them into bite-size pieces.
4. Bone and cut the chicken legs. Season with garlic, ginger, and pepper.
5. Put the other sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix them well.
6. Put the chicken in the sauce and marinate for 30 mins.
7. Oil a pan and cook the seasoned chicken over high heat. Add vegetables after the chicken is almost fully cooked.
8. Put on a plate and top the dish with shredded mozzarella cheese.
<저작권자 © AgraFood, 무단 전재 및 재배포 금지>