With the expansion of Hallyu (the Korean culture wave) to Korean cuisine, increasingly more foreign consumers are becoming familiar with kimchi. A representative Korean dish never failing to be on the tables of Koreans, kimchi is sour, spicy, crispy, and refreshing at the same time. Hardly any parallels can be found to the taste of kimchi in other food cultures around the world.
There are many different types of kimchi. Baechu-kimchi, made with napa cabbage, is the most ubiquitous in Korea and most well-known overseas. Other common types include kkakdugi (diced radish kimchi), chonggak-kimchi (young radish kimchi), and mul-kimchi (water kimchi).
In this issue, we would like to introduce you to a very simple yet flavorful fusion kimchi made with tomatoes. Its sweet-and-sour, somewhat spicy taste and crunchiness make it a great appetizer or a substitute for salad.
Tomato Kimchi on TV
Tomato kimchi has become popular thanks to Park Shin-hye who played a heroine in the Korean TV series You're Beautiful. Park appeared on tvN (a TV channel) entertainment program Three Meals a Day and cooked kimchi using tomato, radish, chives, and onion. Taecyeon of 2PM also appeared in that episode and, upon tasting the dish, commented that it is delicious and “new-style.”
Cooking Time 30 min
Main Ingredients: two tomatoes, 100g radish, 1/2 onion
Seasoning Ingredients: 3 tbsp. red pepper powder, 1.5 tbsp. sugar, 2 tbsp. vinegar, 0.5 tbsp. crushed garlic, a little bit of salt and sesame seeds, chives or chicory (optional)
1. Julienne a radish into 6cm long stripes.
2. Leave it in salted water for 5 to 10 minutes to soften, then wash in running water. Remove the moisture.
3. Julienne an onion. Slice chives or chicory.
4. Wash tomatoes under running water.
5. After removing spigots, slice the tomatoes 1.5cm thick.
6. Mix seasoning ingredients in a bowl.
7. Add the sliced radish first and mix it with the seasoning. Then, add chives or chicory and mix in without applying much pressure. Since tomato’s flesh is the softest, add it last and mix very gently.
8. Let the dish sit in a refrigerator for 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle sesame seeds and salt on the top. The dish is ready!
Park Sung Eun email@example.com
<저작권자 © AgraFood, 무단 전재 및 재배포 금지>